Lost, delayed or damaged baggage
We are sorry that our service did not meet customer’s expectations at this time. We will do our best to return the baggage to the passenger as soon as possible.
The next step is to create a delay report on the baggage either online or with our ground crew at the airport. Passenger can then continue their journey and we will contact them personally to organize the delivery of their baggage, as soon as it has arrived.
If passenger has received a text message or an email with a baggage report number, or if their baggage has not arrived on the same flight with them, please advise passenger to contact the Arrival Service desk in the arrivals hall.
- Arrival Service will enter passenger’s information into a worldwide Baggage Tracing system and give them a Property Irregularity Report (PIR) with a report number. With the report number passenger can follow the situation and update their contact details via the WorldTracer service.
- We will contact passenger when their baggage has arrived in order to organize the transportation.
- Please note that at some airports delivering the bag may require customs clearance. More details can be asked at the Arrival Service desk.
In case their baggage has not been found within 72 hours, it’s important to provide us with more specific information by filling in the Baggage tracing form.
For inquiries about delayed baggage, please advise passenger to contact the local arrival service. The telephone number is in the delayed baggage report. They can also contact us by e-mail.
If passenger wants to apply for compensation for their baggage, please advise to contact their insurance company or to send us a request using feedback form within 21 days of receiving their baggage. Please advise passenger to keep all the documents for future reference.
- Please advice passenger to report damage to the airport’s Arrival Service desk. If passenger notices the damage later on, please advice passenger to send us a written notification of it by e-mail no later than seven days after receiving the baggage. Passenger will then be contacted, primarily by phone, to receive a damage report number and further instructions.
- After completing the damage report, passenger can request compensation from their insurance company or Finnair. Passenger can use our feedback form to send the request. Please advice passenger to keep all the documents and the damaged baggage for future reference.
Please note that handling of baggage is performed mechanically, and the airline is not responsible for normal wear that does not affect the bag’s usability.
In case baggage was delayed, passenger can apply for compensation from their insurance company or from us. We compensate reasonable costs of necessary items they purchase during their trip. Please advise passenger to send their request to us through this feedback form. The request shall be done within 21 days of receiving the baggage. Please advise passenger to keep all the documents as long as their request is fully resolved.
Lost and found carry-on baggage
Flights arriving to HEL: we take all carry-on baggage items lost and found in the aircraft to Excess Baggage Company office. Passengers can enquire about their belongings directly from them. Please check their contact information online. Please note that it can take several days or sometimes even weeks that the found items are delivered to Excess Baggage.
Items forgotten at Helsinki Airport will be delivered to Excess Baggage Company by the airport authority Finavia. Excess Baggage Company is located in the arrival hall on the 1st floor of Helsinki Airport. Contact information for customers: tel. +358 9 81 71 19 68 and e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Excess Baggage Company can send the lost items to the customer by post or as courier post all over the world. The lost items can also ordered to be sent to the arrival or the departure gate at Helsinki airport. This is suitable for transit customers who have short connection times.
* Items forgotten before 9 September 2023 can be inquired from Suomen Löytötavarapalvelu - Lost & Found International. Please note that from 12 September to 11 October 2023, Lost & Found international offices in the Helsinki Metropolitan Area and their service number 0600 41 006 will be closed. You can contact the Turku (tel. 0600 03391) and Kouvola (tel. 0600 03390) offices, which answer inquiries about lost and found items but do not handle and cannot hand over lost property in Finnair aircraft or premises. They can be picked up again from 12 October 2023, when the Helsinki Metropolitan Area offices and service number 0600 41 006 will be open.
Flights arriving to other airports: Items found in the aircraft are given to ground handling agent at the destination. After country specific security checks the item will be sent back to Helsinki where it will be delivered to Lost & Found Helsinki office. Please notice, depending upon the airport this can take several weeks.
Items forgotten at other airports can be inquired from the authorities running that airport. Please ask passenger to check the web pages for the particular airport for Lost Property.